✅ Our Hidden Icon today is Maria Solivellas, chef at the restaurant in Caimari, Ca Na Toneta.
▷ In a snapshot
A magical place where she and her team give you a real sensorial experience. Enjoying her food, you enjoy rediscovering the flavors of the tradition, and the excellence of the quality of local products.
Maria Solivellas. A very talented all-rounder professional. She tells us how she has experienced this confinement and what is waiting for us in her restaurant when it reopens.
- CREATIVITY. What have you done to keep it active during this confinement?
I’ve been lucky enough to be confined in the countryside, in my house, from where everything is more beautiful. I tried to blend in with nature: she was following her course, absent from what was happening. I was quite relieved. But the situation has undermined my creativity a little, I have spent time designing subsistence plans, thinking, rather than creating.
2. BASICS. Your songs, filmS, phrase that has accompanied you or who has inspired you?
I was inspired by my mother, who was already doing it. I admire her connection with nature, her ability to be in the present, her creativity, I think she is one of the few people in the world who has not changed her life during this confinement, she has simply stopped going shopping. She has a world of her own that is very rich.
3. TALENT. What phrase has accompanied you? What has come out of this confinement?
No special phrase. A Word: Metamorphosis. More than the usual “reinvention”, I don’t feel the need to “reinvent”. I do not know yet what has been born from this confinement, neither in me nor in the whole society, we will know it when we come back to reality.
4. ART & RESPECT. In your restaurant, you take care of everything, the most sacred thing, the earth. And therefore you value the seasons for the consumption of the products. We are all locked up in the winter and we are almost back in the summer. What will be the star ingredients that we will find when you reopen Ca na Toneta?
Summer products: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, zucchini… We’ve skipped the season for my favorite product, spring!
5. CA NA TONETA TOP. What signature dish do people have to try when they come to your restaurant?
We will continue to make a tasting menu, shorter than before, and designed to make the service not so long and exposed. But we don’t want to abandon the idea that coming to our house is an authentic experience that, I believe, now makes more sense than before after having been in the same space for so long. But well, the mallorcan “cocas” are never going to be absent!
6. HIDDEN TIPS. Your recommendations to really enjoy Mallorca. Your 3 favorites. Surprise us!
I’m seduced by the idea that the island will be a paradise again this summer. My desire now is the sea. At the sea, you go, you do and see. And it’s real! And then eat under the grapevine on the terrace of Ca Na Toneta. Mallorca in full !!
Maria Solivellas. A talented person, she has managed to give value to her mother’s cooking, the traditional recipes, and learning from local products. One of the first to defend slow food gastronomy and distance it from all the snobbery created around it. Chapeau!
≫ Years ago we wrote about our first visit to your restaurant and fell in love. You can read our article here.